NTFS drive wont mount - "unknown filesystem"?

David McNally david3333333 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 22:45:13 UTC 2010

Hi Karl.

Thanks for getting back so quick, but I have a little problem with
that. The partition on the broken hard drive is bigger than my
internal hard drive, or any hard drive that i own. That might not work
so well. Also, I'm not too good with opening hard drives or computers.
I'm good at fixing software, but I'm no use for fixing broken
hardware.

However, I noticed in GParted that it allows me to "Format as NTFS". I
didn't actually do it, but I was wondering what would happen if I did.
Does format strictly mean that it will erase everything on the hard
drive, or will it just make the hard drive into an NTFS partition? If
it just makes it into an NTFS partition, then I could probably try
that, right?

David