Ubuntu Server 9.10 on Embedded Board Alix2d2 (AMD Geode & CF card over IDE)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Jan 19 07:03:16 UTC 2010

Ramon Hofer wrote:
> Because of that I think I can solve it in the same way: "The solution
>  was to add a script file (I called it M01-ntpdate) to the /etc/rcS.d
>  directory to use /usr/sbin/ntpdate to set the system clock."
>
> But unfortunately I don't know exactly what to write into that
>  script. Hope someone can help me here.

It would be something like this:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp.ubuntu.com

You could replace ntp.ubuntu.com with another time server like
ch.pool.ntp.org. But I'm not sure if your network is ready before the
file system is checked. Then you would have to configure your network
first.

As an alternative solution you could save a timestamp when you stop the
machine. Use that at bootup to set the clock - add some seconds to that
timestamp because the system needs some time to save the timestamp file
and unmount the file system.

> Or would it be better to add a battery
>  (http://www.pcengines.ch/cr2032.htm)? But because the server is
>  probably going to run all day I think it's not needed.

IMHO it is better to add a battery - that saves some headaches. And I
would assume that nobody on the list would have thought of a missing
battery to be the reason for your troubles.

Nils