Beginner Q1: Linux incapable of handling FDD? CONCLUDED

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Mon Jan 18 19:48:40 UTC 2010

Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen さんは書きました:
>> Again you were asked 3 times about your computer and now we know
>> IT is the problem! Either try Ubuntu on your good new computer,
>> or stop complaining to this list.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>
> I still seem to bother people. The PC I currently use for Linux is
> listed as well compatible: hp notebook nx9005, 768MB RAM, 40 GB
> HDD, Athlon CPU 2.2 GHz (or something like that). Unfortunately I
> am not wealthy enough to buy me something brand-new (= much more
> expensive) for experiments.

I am surprised that you're having a problem with Linux and a floppy.
I've been doing *nix in various flavours forever and I've always been
able to use floppies. I don't have any suggestions other than do you
have any machine on which you can do a 100% clean install of Ubuntu 9.10?

As for Karl, I'd seriously suggest tuning out what he says. As in tune
out everything. Nothing against him because he's well-intentioned but
most of what he says translates into white noise and will be of little
practical help. And he's often abrasive, so I just have him put onto
"ignore". It took me a while to figure that one out for myself. YMMV.
Systems Theory project website: www.systemstheory.net
www.mikedickson.org.uk