big backup file

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 14:34:33 UTC 2010

Georg von Zengen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please tell us what you are trying to do.

	I am backing up my computer to a hard drive (HD) in a plastic
case that connects to my computer with a USB cable.

  I think gparted is not the
> right tool to see howmuch space is left on a device.

	I think that is correct!

  If you are using
> gnome just rightclick on the directory in which you expect backup and
> click "properties", if you just have a shell use "du -hs <directory in
> which you expect backup>".

	Thank YOU! I had lost the du -hs and that is exactly what I
need.

> Also I do not expect any benefit of writing a new partitiontable.
>
> Georg

	I could not do that of course until I took the HD out of the
plastic case and put back in my computer.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User