WUBI, VMs etc

Haneef Bashir darkfena313 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 12:21:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Johnneylee Rollins
<johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Mark C. Miller <mr.mcmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:34:49 +0000, Steve wrote:
>>
>>> Rather then bog down another, unrelated, thread on this I thought I’d
>>> start a new one.
>>>
>>> I’ve seen the suggestion more than a few times that people, often
>>> newbies, use WUBI or a VM to try Linux out.  While WUBI is a quite good
>>> system for testing a distro without the problems of partitioning, which
>>> often frightens people  and can be occasionally problematic.  I don’t
>>> believe VMs are a very good suggestion at all.  Apart from the problem
>>> of setting one up, you won’t know where problems lie.  Is it with
>>> Windows, Linix or the VM?  Nor is it a good test of the hardware for
>>> Linux.
>>>
>>> Discuss
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve
> I've always been into computers and mastered xp when I was 13. So I
> wanted more, I started out with ubuntu and immidiately booted from it
> and installed it to a seperate drive. I kept playing with it so much
> and learning how it worked, that in the first day I had broken it
> about 12 times and reinstalled it again and again. I have only used
> ubuntu as a vm to test out the responsiveness. The wubi install is
> only good if I have no media to put the iso onto. I never used wubi
> until about 20 minutes ago. I have no cd's and no other media. I know
> I can use grub2 and will change to that, but my wireless got borked.
>
> That's my little story.
wubu is good as a way to introduce people who are not computer savvy
to ubuntu. i personally wouldnt use it. i dont use windows as my main
OS. what i worry about is getting a virus which would destroy the
windows installation and along with it the ubuntu that was installed
using wubi.