My xxxx.png screenshot readable by Windows?

Jonesy gmane at jonz.net
Fri Jan 15 19:40:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:56:49 +0800, HermanAA wrote:

> Screenshot-5.png
> I sent a screenshot (above) as an email attachment to a Windows user.
>  (a lady, novice Windows-user)
>
> She told me she could not see (open) it.
>  (is it true that Windows does not recognize the .png extension?)
> She uses an old Windows version. XP or WIN98 I guess.

> Can I convert .png to a more common format maybe?
>  (I cannot easily redo the screenshot)

On your machine -- before you send the image:

	$ convert <IMAGE>.png <NEWIMAGE>.jpg

Attach <NEWIMAGE>.jpg to your email.

`convert` is in the ImageMagick package.
ImageMagick is truly a Swiss Army knife for images...

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2