Back Up with rsync

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:37:24 UTC 2010

Jozsef wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 02:37:15 +0400, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>     In Linux for years rsync is software in every version and it
>> is used in business computers all over the world. With cron
>> ssf software you can send your backup over the Internet to
>> anywhere. Or you can use it at home.
>>
>>     My system is Ubuntu 9.04 backing up on a portable hard drive
>> at /media/disk/.
>>
>>     The whole rsync line is in a terminal as:
>>
>>   rsync -avz / --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list
>> /media/disk/backup94
>>
>> now -avz says backup with visible effects and gzip the package
>> on the backup.
>>
>> --exclude-from= is the exact address of your exclude-list.
>> Here is my list:
>>
>>         Here is my file named exclude-list:
>> /proc/*
>> /sys/*
>> /dev/*
>> /lost+found/*
>> /var/log/lastlog/*
>> /tmp/*
>> /mnt/*
>> /cdrom/*
>> /media/*
>>
>> The place to put the backup is /media/disk/backup94 and it
>> does do this.
>>
>>     I prefer this manual method for home. I no longer own a business.
>>

>> 73 Karl
>>

> Good. Thanks for this. Will give it a try. But I want to ask what's the
> way you are restoring your files in case you need them? Would be nice to
> have that part of commands in details like we got your commands for
> backing up.
> Thank you.

	The rebuild is simple. If you loose a couple of files, you
find those files EXACTLY where they were on the backup. Use cp
-a filename if permissions allow, otherwise sudo cp -a.

	If you have a new hard drive because the old one died,  just
cp the whole system into the SAME partition on the new hard
drive and you will be up and running in 15 minutes.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User