Slow Typing and Heavy Xorg Processor Usage in 9.04

Anoop John anoopjohn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 10:01:26 UTC 2010

I have a very peculiar issue on my system running Ubuntu 9.04. The
characters come up very slow when I type in firefox and gedit. There
is no problem when I type in xterm or even gnome-terminal. Xorg
processor usage jumps from 1% to sometimes up to 20% when I type in
either firefox or gedit. Very often I have to stop typing to wait for
the characters to appear on my screen.

My device section in xorg.conf says

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Option          "AccelMethod"                   "uxa"
        Option          "EXAOptimizeMigration"          "true"
        Option          "MigrationHeuristic"            "greedy"
EndSection

I had added the three options as seen on one of the forums as a
solution for the specific issue but it has not helped.

This is my graphics card

~$ lspci|grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
K8M800/K8N800/K8N800A [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)

smoothing to greyscale, hinting to none and resolution to 96dpi.

My screen resolution is set at 1152x864 on a 17" LG E700SH Flatron CRT monitor.

Any help/tips to sort this issue out would be deeply appreciated

Thanks for your time

Best Regards
Anoop