dd problem

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Fri Jan 15 01:19:59 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 05:17 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 06:34:29PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>
>>             ............snip............
>>
>>> 	Well rsync has worked for many years and NO business uses tar
>>> so what in heck are you trying to say?
>>
>> First, how do you know no businesses use rsync? Second, did you read the
>> part about rsync being good for network backups? Just because *you*
>> don't understand the suggestion and do know rsync well enough to use it
>> doesn't make it intrinsically better.

Karl's (lack of) knowledge could fill volumes.

>> If you would bother to read (with comprehension) the tar man page you
>> would find your reason for not liking it is one of usual your ill
>> informed wet dreams.

> 	I today read the entire rsync man page and did a complete
> backup and one incremental backups. I had to change the owner
> of the portable hard drive and now I can do backups without
> being root, as it says in man rsync
>
> 	If you were smart you would use rsync, but your not. Too bad.

This is the statement that broke the camel's back. Karl the wise
knows all (within his little universe), sees all (as far as he can
see) and is wise (NOT!).

Karl you have one tool and think you know everything about
backups. Tar has been used (and probably still is being used) for
backup. Rsync is one tool but not the only. Quit being so @#$%^!
arrogant, you know too little. Your bout with dd seems to bear
that out.

I can't wait to see what happens when you need to do a partial
restore or are you from the Windows world of 'wipe the drive and
reload'?

BTW, I use svn to backup my projects and sitecopy/ssh to backup
my web site.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com