Back Up with rsync

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:37:15 UTC 2010

	In Linux for years rsync is software in every version and it
is used in business computers all over the world. With cron
ssf software you can send your backup over the Internet to
anywhere. Or you can use it at home.

	My system is Ubuntu 9.04 backing up on a portable hard drive
at /media/disk/.

	The whole rsync line is in a terminal as:

  rsync -avz / --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list
/media/disk/backup94

now -avz says backup with visible effects and gzip the package
on the backup.

--exclude-from= is the exact address of your exclude-list.
Here is my list:

        Here is my file named exclude-list:
/proc/*
/sys/*
/dev/*
/lost+found/*
/var/log/lastlog/*
/tmp/*
/mnt/*
/cdrom/*
/media/*

The place to put the backup is /media/disk/backup94 and it
does do this.

	I prefer this manual method for home. I no longer own a business.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User