Will this laptop be compatible with Ubuntu?

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Thu Jan 14 21:41:20 UTC 2010

On 14 Jan 2010, at 9:30pm, Colin Law wrote:

> 2010/1/14 Chris Jones <christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch>:
>>
>> just my 2 cents. If you want an easy to install (an uninstall) linux installation with 99.99% the speed of a 'native' one, wubi is just great.
>
> Until windows crashes and scribbles on the Ubuntu file, then ubuntu
> and all your data are lost.  Personal experience.

Never happened to me.

Don't get me wrong, if you *know* you are ready to abandon windows and move over fully to linux, then a full installation is clearly the way to go. But if you are not sure, and want to try it out, wubi is a much better way to try it out than either a VM or a live CD. You full almost complete native performance, unlike a VM, with a persistent system, unlike the lice CD...

Chris