Will this laptop be compatible with Ubuntu?

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Thu Jan 14 09:40:10 UTC 2010

> <snip>
>> My suggestion is download a Ubuntu live CD (don't bother with 64 bits - take the normal 32 bits)... take it with you to the shop, and ask if you can boot the machine with it, and try out the WiFi section, audio, graphics, card reader... everything you really need.
> <snip>
> I'd actually use the 64-bit version as you can use both 64-bit and
> 32-bit applications on ubuntu, and that is the direction that desktop
> computing is heading anyways.

Agreed. I really don't think there is any need to avoid 64 bit versions these days, if your hardware supports it (which has been the case with almost all new machines for a while now). People who suggest using the 32 bit version probably recall back a few years when there was problems, with things like drivers, flash etc., but these are all pretty much gone now.

Also, with 4G ram you need the 64 bit version to properly support all of it.

Install 64 bit and enjoy the speed boost !

cheers Chris