Clam AV update in Hardy Heron 8.04

RobertHoltzman holtzm at cox.net
Wed Jan 13 06:37:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 06:43:42PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 01/12/2010 12:44 PM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> > I've installed Clam Anti virus on 8.04 purely to clean up my Flashdisk
> > which get a whole load of viruses every time I plug it into the PC at
> > the Radio station where I do a weekly jazz/blues program. I am a little
> > peeved to find that I cannot update the virus def through the GUI - I
> > get this message:
> > "You must be root to install updates".
> > Any ideas?
>
> Flames may abound after this... but I've found bitdefender (linux)
> considerably better than clam AV:
>
> http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/
>  http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/#
> http://unices.bitdefender.com/
> <http://www.bitdefender.com/P80--en--Browse-by-BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-for-Unices.html>

The thing I liked about bitdefender was that it could quarantine an
individual infected message from an mbox file as opposed to clam that
quarantines the entire file.

The thing(s) I didn't like was the fact that it crashed with an over
temp warning if I tried to scan my entire mail directory and that trying
to navigate their web site could drive Carrie Nation to drink.

--
Bob Holtzman
GPG key ID = 8D549279