Removing Printers (and other fun CUPS questions)

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Jan 12 05:39:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> > This is on a 9.10 laptop.  I'm in ipadmin group.
> > System->Administration->Printing lists 32 printers.  Some listed printers
> > configured at my home (about 4) and the rest are network printers at the
> > office.
> > 1) How do I delete the ones I never use?
>
> Some of those printers are 'advertised' by either a server or the
> printer themselves.
> Those you can't 'delete', but you could choose to stop listening to
> the broadcasts.

But, they show up even when not connected to the office LAN -- and even with
Networking disabled they still show up.  I'm at home now and they show up.
 Thirty printers listed.  They must be stored some place on this laptop.

Another odd thing is the cups web interface (http://localhost:631/printers/)
the "Delete printer" links have URLs like this:

href="file:///dev/null?op=delete-printer&printer_name=_10_30_1_97"

file:///dev/null isn't going to work.

Geeze, I just tried running strace -e trace=open python
/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py to see what files
were opened (i.e. where the printers might be saved) and found nothing.

Huh, dunno where they keep it either.  Can you delete them with
>  sudo lpadmin -x printerName

That worked!  I deleted all that had the file:://dev/null URI shown in the
cups web interface using lpadmin -x.

Now just showing my local printers (as advertised by my local print
spooler).

Been bugging me for a few months now. ;)   Thanks.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org