how to get mac address

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Jan 11 04:12:51 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 11:20:47 am Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
> How can I get the MAC address of a computer, if it isn't in the same
> network segment?

Every Network's Hardware Part has a unique ID number that is assigned by the
manufacturer. It is Called MAC number.  However, I really think you are
looking for an IP number rather than a MAC number.  A MAC number looks like
this 00-02-E3-46-E4-55 while an IP address looks like 192.168.1.1 and is how
you would connect to a local public provider.  if that is the number you are
after then "resolve" the "your.coffeshop.com" address and it will give you
it.  for the MAC address run "# ifconfig" and it will give you those of the
local machine.  Each of your network cards has a different MAC number
assigned by its manufacturer.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403