rsnapshot: "No space left on device"

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 03:23:16 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 19:17 +0000, Detlef Lechner wrote:
> '~$ sudo rsnapshot hourly' reports:
> "rsync: writefd_unbuffered filed to write 4 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe
> (32);
> rsync: write failed on
> "/media/BckupMD9/hourly.0/localhost/home/detlef/tmp/evolution-
> backup.tar.gz"; No space left on device (28);
> Thus far I thought that rsnapshot erases automatically the oldest snapshot
> (Backup) on the current partition if storage is insufficient for the
> current rsnapshot process. Is this not always true?

Rsnapshot doesn't delete anything based on storage space.
It uses hardlinks so that it only needs to backup the changed material
and can 'reuse' the old material without it taking up any more space.

If your large tarball has changed since the last time rsnapshot ran, it
will need enough space to make another copy of it.

Brian