Would like help setting up ndiswrapper with Atheros AR5B91 (identified as "AR928X")

Marcus Wanner marcusw at cox.net
Sun Jan 10 15:30:11 UTC 2010

On Sunday 10 January 2010 10:09:54 am Marcus Wanner wrote:
> On Sunday 10 January 2010 07:25:23 am Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> > 10.01.2010 03:15, Marcus Wanner:
> > > Here's what I did:
> > > sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils
> > > cd Liteon\ Atheros\ AR5B91/Vista\ Driver/Vista64bit
> > > 	(stupid windows pathnames)
> > > sudo ndiswrapper -i netathrx.inf
> > > sudo modprobe -r ath9k
> > > sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
> > > dmesg
> > > 	that last one produced this:
> > > [   82.092758] ndiswrapper version 1.55 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
> > > [   82.225025] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol:
> > > ntoskrnl.exe:'RtlIsServicePackVersionInstalled'
> > > [   82.225051] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol:
> > > ntoskrnl.exe:'KeInitializeGuardedMutex'
> > > <snip>
> > > [   82.225737] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol:
> > > NDIS.SYS:'NdisMRegisterScatterGatherDma'
> > > [   82.225753] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol:
> > > NDIS.SYS:'NdisMDeregisterScatterGatherDma'
> > > [   82.225768] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol:
> > > NDIS.SYS:'NdisMFreeNetBufferSGList'
> > > [   82.225784] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:206): couldn't prepare
> > > driver 'netathrx'
> > > [   82.227520] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:108): couldn't load driver
> > > netathrx; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
> > > [   82.227660] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
> >
> > Hm, when I first tried to use the 64bit Windows driver for my FRITZ!WLAN
> > USB Stick N 2.4 I saw
> > ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol:
ntoskrnl.exe:'NlsMbCodePageTag'
> > I checked the SVN of ndiswrapper and found a change that should make
> > this symbol resolvable. And indeed, the SVN trunk version of ndiswrapper
> > worked for me.
> > But I don't see anything similar for the unknown symbols you get
> > reported. So I doubt that building ndiswrapper from SVN will help you.
> >
> > > What did I do wrong? Used the 64bit driver when I should have used the
> > > 32bit one?
> >
> > I don't think that you can use the 32bit driver on a 64bit system.
> >
> > > Or is vista not the right version?
> >
> > Don't know. If there's a 64bit XP driver available, I'd try this one.
> >
> > Nevertheless, it could be that you are simply out of luck wrt the
> > combination Windows driver/ndiswrapper.
> >
> > But maybe one of the tips found here
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/414560?comments=all
> > esp.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/414560/comments/20
> > and
> > http://fostergrant.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8604043
> > comment 5
> > will work for you and you get a stable WLAN connection without using a
> > Windows driver.
>
> That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thank you very much for your
>  help, I will install the backports from 2.6.32 and tell you how it works
>  out.
>
> Marcus

OK, I uninstalled ndiswrapper, ran
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic-generic linux-backports-
modules-wireless-karmic-generic
And rebooted just for good measure.
Now I have better signal strength than ever before! iwconfig reports that the
link quality is 70/70; before it rarely got better than 50, even if there was
line-of-sight contanct from the laptop to the router. The card has not frozen
yet, and I will say so if it does.

However, I have one question: when I installed the packages, it pulled in a
package with my current kernel version number in it (2.6.31-17). When I
upgrade to a newer kernel, will the new backports package be installed
automagically, or will I need to install it?

Again, thank you very much, you saved me lots of frustration (plus having to
admit that Linux truly didn't work with my hardware).

Marcus