no soundcards found 9.10 upgrade on Dell studio xps [Resolved]

Ron Burns rrburns at cox.net
Sun Jan 10 02:32:41 UTC 2010

Ron Burns wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I recently upgraded my Dell studio xps laptop (which shipped with 9.04)
> to 9.10. I now have no sound.  No soundcard is detected:
<snip>

This problem is resolved and there is NO 9.10 soundcard issue with my
Dell XPS. A number if issues came up in trying to solve this problem
(which may be of interest to some>)

1) I did updates and upgrades using "Update Manager" I thought I was
being conservative by accepting the default options. After booting up
after the upgrades (including 9.04 to 9.10), I had no sound and no sound
cards were detected.  After a few emails, a call to Dell and a call to
Ubuntu, NoOp finally noticed from my "uname -a" output that I was
booting up in 9.04. I guess even though I was still in 9.04 somehow the
sound was broken during the updates.  Another kernel update appeared, so
I installed it and it seemed all went well. Boot up still went to 9.04.

2) Web searches showed there was some issues with 9.04 to 9.10 upgrades
and how the selection of a confusing option for "developers menus" leads
to the boot menus not being changed.  A suggested fix for this is to run
grub-mkconfig which I did.  On boot up I now had a menu with the all of
the linux upgrades listed. Looking good, but on boot up I got a "initrd
command not found" error.

3) Web searches showed that I could solve this by editing the boot
command line script (after typing "e" during boot up).  The fix was to
remove the line with the search command and then at grub prompt do an
"insmod linux" then <ctrl>-x to boot. Now I got a "no linux loaded" error.

4) At this point NoOp and I took the discussion off line and exchanged a
large number of emails. I cannot thank him enough for all of his help.
Using a 9.10 LiveCD bootup we probed a number my system settings and
decided it would be (probably) be safe to try to recover grub2.
Somewhere along the way grub was updated to grub2 but maybe not
completely. I Used the steps detailed in
    http://linuxers.org/howto/how-recover-grub2-ubuntu-910-karmic-koala
and after doing this I finally booted up into 2.6.31-17-generic #54-Ubuntu.

While I have not exercised the system much I do have sound (as well as
wireless connectivity and touchpad functionality.)

Again Thank You all for all the kind help and putting up so many
tangential issues.

Best Regards,
	Ron

--