Gnome PPP Question

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Sat Jan 9 17:23:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 19:58 -0800, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> > No, it hasn't been included in any distro since 8.10
> >
> > however there is a comprehensive tutorial at the following
> >
> > https://docs.google.com/View?id=ddj988ww_4gxnzrsgc
> >
> > Cheers the kiwi
>
> So, it looks like my only option is to find a stable version of the
> package, and install it after I have installed 9.10.
>
> Do you have any recommended sources for getting the package?
>
> Barry

Ubuntu doesn't come with a GUI PPP dialer on the Live-Cd but it does
come with the ncurses-based (text) pppconfig which you can use to set up
your PPP session and connect/disconnect to your dial-up internet service
with the "pon" an "poff" commands. Just open a terminal and type "sudo
pppconfig" to start it. It's fairly straightforward in configuring all
the necessary info and explains how to connect once you finish creating
a profile.  You'll need to remember add your OS username (not your ISP
account id) to the "dip" group before dialing your ISP with the "pon
<provider name>" command. You can do that through the "Advanced
Options"->"Add ppp user" screen. Just logout and back in to allow the
group addition to take effect before connecting.

--
sktsee