Community Council, please take action!

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Sat Jan 9 17:02:38 UTC 2010

On 07-01-10 00:49, Brian Clarkson wrote:

> I didn't know what the term "troll" meant,

It's jargon.
This is the glossary of The Jargon File:
http://catb.org/jargon/html/go01.html

  which was being referred to

More details in http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/troll.html

> The wisdom in this seemed to me to be the recommendation:
>
> "The best response to a troll is no response."

Most of the times, yes. But not always.
For example, when a troll spreads information that is factually wrong
and could cause damage or data loss, there should be a reply (preferably
from a list moderator, if available) to counter the disinformation.

It's not black and white but shades of grey.

--
Amedee Van gasse