Can't Update Ubuntu 9.04 (RESOLVED)

John Graddy jwgraddy at valornet.com
Fri Jan 8 22:40:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 11:06 +1300, Tim Frost wrote:
> John,
>
> On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 15:09 -0600, John Graddy wrote:
> >

> > the output from sudo apt-get update follows.  After doing the apt-get
> > update, the problem cleared up.
>
> That doesn't explain why the system isn't automatically updating the
> lists of available/updated packages.  There are several things to check,
> and the best way is to work in Synaptic.
>
> In Settings->Repositories->Update, is the 'Check for updates' tick box
> ticked.  If not, it won't automatically fetch the updated list of
> available packages.  NOTE: The default for jaunty and karmic is to
> report updated packages weekly, unless there is a security update.
>
> Does synaptic successfully fetch the package lists if you click the
> Reload button?  If not, is it set up to use a proxy (the apt-get update
> doesn't show the use of a proxy) - see Settings->Preferences->Network ?
>
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >

> [output removed]
>
> Tim

Unless I have step by step procedures for working at command level, I
use Synaptic.

In settings>Repositories>Update "Check for updates daily" is selected.

If I click the reload button in Synaptic, the package lists are fetched
successfully.

In Settings>Preferences>Network, use of a Proxy is not selected.

John