evolution - junk

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Fri Jan 8 15:53:47 UTC 2010

Norman Silverstone wrote:
>> On 08/01/2010 15:55, Norman Silverstone wrote:
>>> I have used Evolution for several years and, until today, never had mail
>>> in the junk folder. Now, some of the mail which should be going into my
>>> ubuntu-users list folder is ending up in the junk folder whilst other
>>> mail goes into the correct folder. The odd thing is that mail in the
>>> same thread is appearing in either folder.
>>>
>>> Is anyone able to suggestion a solution to this problem, please.
>>

>> Most likely an incorrectly trained Bayesian filter.
>>
>> Try taking the ubuntu-users mail in your junk folder and marking them as
>> "NOT JUNK".
>
> Thank you very much I will do that.
>
> Norman

If your mail server is running spamassassin, it is possible that your
mail server (as did the one I run) suffers from a bug in how
spamassassin tags/scores for SPAM since the turn of the new decade.

I was receiving legitimate email tagged by spamassassin with a weighted
additional 3.2 points because the date was 'grossly in the future',
simply because it was 20XX.

Check the headers of an incorrectly tagged piece of mail for something
like this:

	HTML_MESSAGE,MIME_HTML_ONLY autolearn=no version=3.2.5

It's the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX that's the culprit.  Further in the headers:

On the mail server, running sa-update, then restarting the spamassassin
daemon did the trick for me. (dunno if you have root access on your mail
server, but if you don't you can let your ISP know)

HTH and, of course, YMMV,
-Ray

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?