Minimizing bandwidth usage to a web server

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Fri Jan 8 15:03:14 UTC 2010

On 01/08/2010 08:21 AM, Phyo W. Soe wrote:
> We have branches in cities throughout the country. Under normal
> circumstances, users from those branches will have to connect to the
> central web server to access the pages. It consumes too much bandwidth
> due to videos and pictures. We would like to minimize the bandwidth
> usage from the branches by having a server in each branch. A branch's
> server will mirror the contents of the central server and users in the
> branch access the local server instead of the central server when they
> want to access the LMS.

You're trying to reinvent load-balancing and a CDN (Content Delivery
Network).

Bandwidth is cheap. Scattering your media across some cobbled-together
distributed system isn't going to make any difference in bandwidth
consumption. When you say "it consumes too much bandwidth", what is the
real problem? Your server can't keep up? You're trying to serve up these
files using some DSL or cable modem connection? Your MySQL can't keep
up? That's not an unusual situation, by the way. By default, MySQL uses
MyISAM table types. That'll be a big bottleneck on systems that need to
have write access to tables because MyISAM only supports table locks.
You haven't provided enough details.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay