Editing Gnome for single click

James Michael Fultz croooow at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 23:38:04 UTC 2010

* Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> [2010-01-07 18:41 +0200]:
> Please, how can one configure Gnome applications for single click, if
> one does not have Gnome installed? I am a Kubuntu user but I use some
> Gnome apps or apps that use Gnome settings (Zim, gucharmap, etc).
> Thanks.

I don't think that there is a way to make all applications behave the
way you want them to behave.  However, I've found that you can drag
a character into the Text to copy field of gucharmap which would avoid
having to double-click.  KCharSelect (I think it or its analog is still
available in KDE) is alternative you could try since one reference
I found to it suggests that it uses a single-click for character
selection.  I have no idea about Zim, but I think that it would be an
application-specific setting if there is such a one.

Both GNOME and KDE have options for selecting single-click or
double-click for actions (open, execute, etc.) on items (typically
files) rendered as icons on the desktop, in a file manager (Nautilus,
Konqueror, Dolphin), in file dialogs, and some other "browse" type
dialogs (control center).  This is what the Behavior option in File
Management Preferences from Nautilus pertains.  Any other UI elements
likely have application-specific settings if any at all.