Website inaccessible

Faizan Kazi faizan.s.kazi at faizan-kazi.com
Thu Jan 7 06:47:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Rafiq Hajat <ipi.malawi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
> I'm having a continual problem accessing certain website such as
> Facebook, Netlog, or even SystemRescueCD using Firefox 3.0.16 on Hardy
> heron 8.04.

Hey Rafiq,
are these the ONLY sites that load slowly? how fast does gmail, or hotmail
or msn.com load?

are you accessing these websites at work?
If you're at home, what kind of internet do you have? Dialup? DSL (4, 2, 1
or 0.5 Mbit?)? Cable?

Is your internet shared with other people? sometimes Cable internet is
shared between users in a neighborhood and so you can suffer from slow
download or slow browsing speeds if the people in your neighborhood are
downloading a lot.

maybe your internet settings are a little messed up...
Go to System >> Preferences >> Network Proxy and tell me what you see...
or you can take a screenshot and upload it to flickr or picasa web albums.
also tell me whats going on for the network, right click the network icon in
the taskbar (next to the clock in Ubuntu) and open "Connection Information"
and tell me whats going on there.

good luck! :)
faizan