how to get mac address

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Thu Jan 7 00:37:50 UTC 2010

On 01/06/2010 04:48 PM, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 13:12 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
>> Quoting n3mo <n3mo.wolf at gmail.com>:

I hope I haven't removed the correct attributions. If I did sorry.

> You can also do "arp -a" which gives you the mapping from IP to MAC
> addresses on your local LAN.

Arp will only respond with the MACs of the layer 2 segment you are
on.

The OP wanted the MAC address of a device not on the same layer 2
network (at least that's my assumption of his statement meaning).
There is no way to remotely get the MAC address of a device on a
different laeyr 2 network through TCP/IP. If you know the device
supports something like SNMP then you might be able to poll for
the MIB information. As someone else has suggest access to the
machine can get you the information. Oh there is one other way
and that is access to another device on the same layer 2 network
can get you the information from it's arp table.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com