Fwd: CD/DVD drive problem

Winton Vandepeer squareyes at harboursat.com.au
Wed Jan 6 23:26:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Steve <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:56:04 -0000, Winton Vandepeer
> <squareyes at harboursat.com.au> wrote:
>

>> My notebook .. Lenovo 3000 N200 .. The CD/DVD drive works OK with
>> Vista or Win XP with either installed alone,
>>  but when drive is partitioned and Ubuntu 8.04, or 9.04 or 9.10
>> installed, ceases to exist on both Vista and Ubuntu.
>> Does not exist with Ubuntu installed on it's own either. Problem is
>> the same dual booting with Win XP and Ubuntu.
>> Drive works OK for any bootable disk.
>>
> Somebody with the same problem and a possible solution
> http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Problem-with-my-Laptop-Lenovo-3000-N200-in-Linux/m-p/11571
> --
> Steve
Many thanks ,
Been there, no solution,
have even posted there , only answer there is
"It must be a Ubuntu problem" seems to be a stock answer.
The drive is the built in drive on the notebook, and has been replaced
with a new one, same problem,
the drive doesn't have any problems, (needs to exist to have problems
:-)  ) just doesn't exist with dual boot. I only keep XP to test open
source software ported to Windows for people I know who will only use
Windows.
guess I will just have to live with it, lesson to be learnt, no more Lenovo's.
Thanks again
Winton