how to get mac address

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Wed Jan 6 21:12:07 UTC 2010

Quoting n3mo <n3mo.wolf at gmail.com>:

> if it's a wireless network you can try airodump and sniff to it :) It tells
> you mac adresses of both - client and router.
>
> 2010/1/6 Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com>
>
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Vadkan Jozsef <jozsi.avadkan at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > How can I get the MAC address of a computer, if it isn't in the same
>> > network segment?
>> > e.g.: can I get the MAC from a normal, public IP?

I don't think you can from the IP but if you have ssh access (or can
get it) then the usual method would be to first get a shell (bash)
prompt on the computer of interest then "sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0"

Also, about the terminology, computers don't have mac addresses,
network interface circuits do, lots of computers have more than one.
In the example I gave I assume you want the usual wired interface.

Dave

>> > There is no solution for this?
>>
>> Nope. (with one exception)  MAC addresses are used at level 2, which
>> doesn't leave the LAN.
>> It's not a one to one thing anyway - a given IP could have multiple
>> MAC addresses or vice versa.
>>
>> The exception? If *it* tells *you* (rather than the other way around)
>> - e.g. some service (like an snmp agent) tells you what the MAC
>> address is when you ask it.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> --

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
   Krishnamurti