Making the most of this mailing list.

user1 bqz69 at telia.com
Wed Jan 6 14:51:31 UTC 2010

> Excellent post, thanks. Just a couple of small comments meant with a
> positive attitude, to reinforce your basic point and to stress how great
> your post is.
>
> 1) with respect to this:

I find it easier to use a newsreader (I use Pan, as it has worked very
well for me) instead of your e-mail client  for managing your mailing
lists.

Install Pan using synaptic (in ubuntu).

Add as news server:

Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - Add - "news.gmane.org"

Add your e-mail address:

Pan - Edit - Edit Posting Profiles - "your e-mail address"

Then Search for "gmane.linux.ubuntu.user" as group name (use
search box top left in Pan) and then right click on the found group and
choose
"subscribe".

Please note, that there is thousands of other mailing list groups out
there.

gmane.linux.ubuntu.user (is the group for ubuntu-users mailing list)

Practical setup items:

Pan - Edit - Edit Preferences - Behaviour - Groups - mark "Get new
headers in subscribed groups on start up".

Pan - Groups - Get headers - Get all headers.
This item makes it very important, that ALL subject lines in all posts to
be very DESCRIPTIVE. Then it will be possible to search very distinct for
answers. That is if you have all headers of a newsgroup downloaded in
Pan, you can more easily find your answers. Search in subject lines is
done in top right search box in Pan.

When you post/follow up first time you will receive an e-mail asking
you to reply to the mail, and when you have done that you are up to use
the pitivi mailing list using Pan.

This should be done for each new newsgroup you subscribe to.

Sorry that I repeat the usefullness of Pan, but it took me several years
to find out how much more easy it is to use Pan for your mailing lists -
a very important "weapon" for getting help in the linux world I find. :-)