Assigning an IP address to a Network Drive

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Jan 6 12:18:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:48:35PM -0600, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have a newly acquired Western Digital 1TB My Book World Edition. What
> I want to do is add it to my local network and use it for storage under
> NFS. I use a small hub(6 port) in a wired network. I do not have a
> router nor do I have any MS software installed and do not use Samba,
> just Ubuntu.

I'm using a 2TB My Book World Edition for backup, it works well when
you enable the NFS.

> My question is how do I assign an IP address to the device without some
> sort of identifier for the physical device?
>
> Assume the address would be 192.168.139.5, hostname koala (if needed).
>
> I have done some reading and understand the need for an /etc/fstab entry
> and an /etc/exports entry but I still do not see what would set the IP
> address to the device.

You presumably have a DHCP server of some sort on your network don't
you?  If you do then the MBWE should just acquire its IP address
without problems.

If you *don't* have a DHCP server then you can go into the MBWE web
menus and tell it to use a static IP.  Open up the web interface,
switch to 'Advanced' mode and go to Network->LAN and there you can set
it up as you wish.

The MBWE boxes are excellent little devices, proper Linux installed on
them with ssh access so you can play to your hearts content!  :-)

--
Chris Green