no soundcards found 9.10 upgrade on Dell studio xps

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Wed Jan 6 03:48:38 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 5:36:07 pm Ron Burns wrote:

> I recently upgraded my Dell studio xps laptop (which shipped with 9.04)
> to 9.10. I now have no sound.  No soundcard is detected:
>
> [ 2 ] <wee> (ron) aplay -l
> aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...
>
> Dell is no help as they do not support 9.10.  Is there any work around
> for this or do the drivers need to be compiled into the kernel?

Dell used to have nice helpful pages, easy to use, find, and fix your problems
with their machines like this one for example
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10#Known_Issues but they moved
their pages and ruined the layout so they now look like this on
http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/linux/ubuntu-9-10.aspx  and now it is
harder to find what you are looking for.  For yours, do you have the ability
to perhaps boot into the prior kernel?  The latest kernel was supposed to fix
XPS sound problems also but if you are not fully updated you may not have the
latest one installed.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403