Assigning an IP address to a Network Drive

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Wed Jan 6 03:36:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a newly acquired Western Digital 1TB My Book World Edition. What
> I want to do is add it to my local network and use it for storage under
> NFS. I use a small hub(6 port) in a wired network. I do not have a
> router nor do I have any MS software installed and do not use Samba,
> just Ubuntu.
>
> My question is how do I assign an IP address to the device without some
> sort of identifier for the physical device?

IP's get assigned to network interfaces. You can't really assign an ip
to a storage device. If you have to have a separate address for the
drive, you could assign another address to an interface on the host
system, and reserve that for the device. Google on 'ifconfig aliases
ubuntu' for examples. Sort of the same end result, but a different way
of getting there. Then if you need a name for that address, you do
that with whatever dns tools you have available on the LAN. If nothing
else, you can put an entry in everybody's host file.

--
Hal