Yet Another Boring Discussion About The CoC

RobertHoltzman holtzm at cox.net
Wed Jan 6 00:52:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:52:55PM +0100, Odd wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
> >
> >              .............snip...........
> >
> >> I do not suggest that incivility on this list compares in any way to the
> >> examples.  Only that thumbing one's nose at authority only works as long
> >> as the authority ignores you.
> >
> > Not thumbing my nose at all. I was responding to Amedee's statement that "If
> > Mark Shuttleworth requests something, you'd better interpret it as an
> > imperative". The tone grated on me.
> >
> > One more thing. Shuttleworth may be influential but he certainly doesn't
> > dictate...at least not to me.
>
> I don't think Shuttleworth's demands have been unreasonable so far.
> Ubuntu runs this this list, and they have authority to do with it as they
> please. If you have a beef with that, you can always set up your own
> list, where you can be the boss.

I think you're missing my point. If they are *requests* they are
perfectly reasonable. If they are *demands* you can all stuff them. The
problem I see with a number of individuals on this list is that they
tend to deify Shuttleworth and treat his (reasonable) requests as divine
laws engraved on stone tablets.

I have no problem with whatever the owner(s) of this list want to do
with it and never said I did. If I don't like it I am free to unsub.

I think you should reread what I wrote about not thumbing my nose at
authority.....this time with comprehension.
--
Bob Holtzman
GPG key ID = 8D549279