CD/DVD drive problem

Winton Vandepeer squareyes at harboursat.com.au
Tue Jan 5 13:23:06 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I put this query on the list when I was using 8.04. Am now using 9.10
and still have the same problem.

My notebook .. Lenovo 3000 N200 .. The CD/DVD drive works OK with
Vista or Win XP with either installed alone,
 but when drive is partitioned and Ubuntu 8.04, or 9.04 or 9.10
installed, ceases to exist on both Vista and Ubuntu.
Does not exist with Ubuntu installed on it's own either. Problem is
the same dual booting with Win XP and Ubuntu.
Drive doesn't show in the "System" in either Win or Ubuntu. Have
updated the bios, but there is nothing in the bios re CD/DVD drive
anyway.
Lenovo's only answer is to re-install Vista or XP, has been back to
their workshop.
Drive works OK for any bootable disk, just doesn't look at any cd when
booted in any
operating system.
At the moment I have an external USB cd/dvd drive that works, but
would be nice not to have to carry it around.

Any help much appreciated.
Take Care
Winton