command stack in buffer

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 09:44:13 UTC 2010

On 01/05/2010 12:56 AM, vijay shanker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope many of you must be aware of this.
>
> When i use a terminal to execute my commands. Some times i need to
> execute same command multiple times. So, if i want to choose
> a previously executed command, It makes me very tired to choose from
> history of command.

Do you mean that you don't want to scroll through the history to get to
the command you want?

What I use is [Ctrl]+r  Then start typing the command.  What the shell
will do is search back through your commands to the most recent match.
Sometimes you need to keep typing a few extra characters to get the
right one.

Example:  I routinely ssh to two different computers.  One is the server
in my local network and the command is:
$ssh pecho at 192.168.168.5
The other is to vpn and remote desktop to my office using this:
 ssh -C -p 13254 pecho at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -L 5901:localhost:5900

if [Ctrl]+R "ssh" gives the first one, then I keep typing until I get to
"ssh -" and the shell finds the right one.

Try it!
(BTW this is the bash shell which I believe is the standard in Ubuntu)