updating new install

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Tue Jan 5 09:26:21 UTC 2010

Hi, Norman!

On 05/01/2010 10:19, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 from a CD, which was downloaded about 6
> weeks ago, on to an Acer Aspire 3640. Everything seems to be working OK
> including the wireless connection (after a little help from my friends).
> I would have expected that there would have been many updates since the
> CD was downloaded but, when I activate Update Manager, I am told that my
> system is up to date. Is this correct or am I missing something obvious,
> please?

Some points to consider :

1) Is your machine properly networked? Can it directly ping the internet
and surf the web?
2) Have you clicked on the "Check" button of the update manager?
3) Bottom left of the update manager is a "Settings" button. Click on
it. Make sure you have at least the top 2 Ubuntu updates repositories
selected (karmic-security and karmic-updates). You can enable the
Automatic updates (I have it set for check daily, download all in
background, but I manually install). Also, in the Ubuntu Software tab of
"Software Sources" make sure your repository ("Download from :") is set
properly. If your local server doesn't respond, try "Main server" or
"Server for United States".

Gilles.