Screensaver when closing laptop-display?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Mon Jan 4 04:32:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 02:25:13PM +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
> With 9.10, I had to disable suspend-to-ram/HD on my acer travelmate 8371,
> since it fails to resume. But now, when I close the display, the display is
> shut off, but the screensaver is not activated. So when the display is
> opened again, the desktop is accessible without entering a password.
>
> Neither the screensaver nor powermanagement seem to have an option to lock
> the screen without entering suspend mode when the display is closed.

Ugh, I can't even find how to manually lock the screen in 9.10. In previous
releases, there used to appear lots of options when the "power" button in
the upper right corner was clicked. Along with them was the option to switch
user and to lock the screen. Now only "logout", "susupend", "restart" and
"swithc off" are available.

What happened?