Errors in Ubuntu Server Guide

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Mon Jan 4 04:29:51 UTC 2010

I am trying to follow step by step the VPN setup in the Ubuntu Server
Guide
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/openvpn.html

And there are a bunch of errors!

It tells me to do the command:
sudo cp -r /usr/share/doc/openvpn/examples/easy-rsa/2.0/ /etc/openvpn/

Then it says
edit /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/vars

There is no vars file. The copy command put the files in
/etc/openvpn/2.0/ not /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/

So I got the files moved to the right place so I can
edit /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/vars

Then it says to create the server certificates:
cd /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/easy-rsa

It should be
cd /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa

there us no /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/easy-rsa

Then it says enter:
source vars

Which works.
Then it says enter:
./clean-all

mkdir: cannot create directory '/etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/keys': Permission Denied

Now what?

I can't find who I should send these errors to.

You would think someone would try the commands before
publishing them in a guide intended for a beginner.

This kind of documentation will kill Ubuntu.

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain