Computer Wont release ip

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sat Jan 2 22:50:51 UTC 2010

Rashkae wrote:

> I think the ISP is screwing up big time... They assigned the IP address
> to another client, but it's still getting picked in Dynamic pool.  Most
> DHCP servers keep a cache of NIC hardware address (sorry, brain failed
> and I don't remember what they are properly called) and will re-assign
> the same IP address to the same NIC, no matter how many times the client
> OS "releases" the IP.  The easiest way to deal with this will probably
> be to use a different NIC, and hopefully making it someone else's
> problem whatever the misconfiguration is.

This is, of course, assuming that he doesn't have one of these so called
"Routers" for Internet sharing/firewall, in which case, the IP
duplication will be within his own network and ISP tech who told him the
IP was assigned to another customer was spewing bunk (which would be a
more likely scenario to the one I described above)