What is the most detailed Ubuntu book?

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Fri Jan 1 21:23:17 UTC 2010

On Friday 01 January 2010 11:32:06 am Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM,  <mdovell at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I know that there are short guides sometimes but I was thinking of
> > something mostly complete and current. Or it would it be a bit better to
> > wait for 10.0 since it's a LTR? I think I'm learning more as to how to
> > use Ubuntu but more is always better.
>
> I see that Odd posted what looks like a good list of three books.

Yes, he did!

> I suggest that waiting until the next LTS release doesn't make sense,
> because it takes months to develop a good book, and you might ALWAYS
> be waiting for the next one. (Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" was the
> previous LTS release and Ubuntu 10.4 "Lucid Lynx" will be the one
> coming out next April.)

Actually, I think this is the best idea although I do not think the book will
release till about the first of July or so rather than April like the
software.

> If you bought a book based upon Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy," then you STILL
> have the advantage of knowing that there will be another year of
> complete support for that release, and security updates for another
> couple of years beyond that, I believe. If you are trying to be
> completely systematic, if you are running a LTS release you don't have
> to worry about the OS or software changing substantially while you are
> still learning it. SO the only way a book will be "mostly complete and
> current" (as you put it) would be if the book was written for a
> release that has been out for awhile AND you don't upgrade to the next
> one.

And that of course is my plan.  I bought "Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Third
Edition"  and it is an excellent book .  It is based on 8.04, the last LTS
release and as such is still my regular go to book for answering Ubuntu's
little questions.  The same book for the 10.04 release will likely be the
Fifth edition!  And if past editions are any guide will also be one of the
best books out there for Ubuntu!  Of course, it also covers Kubuntu which is
what I run.

> In practice, the entire OS or included software doesn't radically
> change with every release. There WILL always be major changes to small
> parts, some of which may or may not be important to what you are
> learning.

Exactly!  But a good comprehensive book based on a LTS release gives a solid
base for a Ubuntu user.

> SO jump in already, prepare to always be behind the curve on something!

With a good base you should be AHEAD of the curve,  assuming of course the
curve is based on the average user!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403