What is your price on a low-cost LINIX printer?

Christopher A. Williams chriswubuntu at cawllc.com
Fri Jan 1 14:26:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 06:38 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> 	It needs to be said that people who write editors, or have
> pictures they want to print on a printer have a standard
> output. This is not what a printer wants.
>
> 	The printer wants a "standard input" that is defined in
> detail. And the printers from China and Japan and a few from
> the USA all need this "standard input".
>
> 	What is needed is a format changer in our computer, that
> takes the file from the editor in it's form and converts it to
> what the printer requires. This software is called "cups" in
> Ubuntu. I know only that cups works. I print things and it works.
>
> 	Since cups puts out the proper "standard input", which all
> the new printer hardware must have, it's easy to see that all
> new printer hardware will work with Ubuntu.
>
> 	So if your poor, go to Target or Wal Mart and buy their
> cheapest printer. If your rich buy a color laser printer. If
> your me buy a black and white laser printer.
>
> 	The cheapest printer is an ink-jet type. Be prepared to spend
> a lot of money for ink. Or learn to fill your own ink holders.
>
> 	My Wal Mart Brother HL-1440 Laser Printer has cost me $45.00
> for one new black ink container. I have used this printer hard
> for 4 years so far. I think new laser printers are quite cheap
> now, like $80.00.

Or, if you have priorities similar to mine, a good mid-range inkjet
printer might be the solution.

I wound up getting the HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless from Costco. The nice
thing about Costco is they tend to double the manufacturer's warranty on
most electronics the sell.

I needed a good combo device as I constantly print, scan, copy and fax
stuff. As a "road warrior" for my job, I have to do most all of that to
process my expense reports. This printer is supported by the HP Linux
and Imaging Project software packages out of the box. So, as long as you
have the hplip packages installed, the install procedure is pretty much
plug it in and turn it on. With it, I can do all my expense reports,
including faxing, in a 100% paperless fashion, should I so choose. I
only print reports for hard copy records later on.

My kids use printing for a lot more. My daughters just love printing
their on-line fashion design stuff. Seems simple, but kids' printing can
be pretty demanding on quality at times. And the Wireless printing means
I can also use it with my laptop with no issues, including scanning and
faxing.

So, it's not the fanciest printer out there, but at $150 out the door,
it does what it says and says what it does. Nice print quality, and it
uses the newer cartridges that actually cost less than some printers out
there...! :)

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you are calm while all around you is chaos,

--Unknown