USB to Serial Port Converters

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 22:11:04 UTC 2010

Nils Kassube wrote, On 02/28/2010 02:07 PM:
> 	A year or two ago I bought one of these, with CE  FC as the
>>  maker of this device. It does not work well at all.

Here is what lsusb tells me:

Bus 006 Device 007: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc.
PL2303 Serial Port

	I have been looking at the new devices with Google they
always come with a cd-rom with drivers for the many windows
versions. They have no drivers for any flavor of Linux.

	Found it on Google and this is the story:

PL-2303 Software and Drivers Filename 		Release Date
Version 		File Size

EULA.pdf 		2009/12/3 				22 KB

End User License Agreement ("EULA")

Do not install or use any software from Prolific website until
you have read and accepted all of the license terms.
Permission to use the software is conditional upon your
agreeing to the license terms. Installation or use of the
software by you will be deemed to be acceptance of the license
terms. Acceptance will bind you to the license terms in a
legally enforceable contract with Prolific Technology Inc.

NOTE: Prolific does not manufacture any end-user cable
products and does not provide exclusive support to end-users.
Prolific highly suggest end-users to contact the user product
manufacturer for service and support. Please read the End-User
License Agreement (EULA) before downloading any software or
drivers from Prolific website.

PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110.zip 		2009/12/2
v1.1.0 		2318 KB

PL-2303 USB to Serial Bridge (H, HX, X) Installshield Driver
Setup Program
Installer version & Build date: 1.1.0 (2009-12-02)
Windows 98/ME Driver: v2.0.0.19
Windows 2000/XP/Server2003 (32 & 64-bit) WDM WHQL Driver:
v2.0.13.130
Windows Vista/7/Server2008 (32 & 64-bit) WDF WHQL Driver:
v3.3.10.140
NOTE: For Windows 7, please use RC build 7100 or RTM 7600
Final version. (Installer program will not run on early
Windows 7 or Beta versions)

	Nothing about Linux of course.

73 Karl

--