keyboard shortcut to the application menu

David Hutto dwightdhutto at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 28 15:00:24 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 2/28/10, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:

From: Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp>
Subject: keyboard shortcut to the application menu
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 5:11 AM

Using Ubuntu 9.04
Recently I found out how to create my personal menu under "applications".
I put there those items I (will) use most frequently.

Now I would like to create a keyboard shortcut that opens that menu -
preferrably with a single keystroke.

I found:
System -> Setting -> Keyboard shortcuts -> "original / user specific"
(not sure how this is called in English)
When I click on "add", I am asked for a name -> that part I can still
handle.
But in the next line I am asked for a command. -> I have absolutely no
idea what I am supposed to enter here.

I would be grateful, if someone could help me out here.
Somehow I believe, it IS possible to set such a shortcut ...

Thank you.

Not that I'm an expert at this, but command is similar to what you would run in a terminal command line.

Example: if you typed in idle or gedit in your command line, idle or gedit would come up(if you have it). If you wanted blender to come up, you would enter blender into the command instead.

Although others don't seem to work for me, like the python for short keys, gives an error.