Non Ubuntu question

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Sat Feb 27 22:10:28 UTC 2010

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Graham Todd wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:24:55 +0900 Gryllida<gryllida at gmail.com>
>> uttered these words:

>> [snipped]
>>
>> To those I'd add: get a good hosts file.  It works on Linux and
>> Windows.
>>
>> An explanation of how this works in Windows can be found at:
>>
>> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>>
>> The hosts file there is one of the best around and help prevent
>> you from being redirected to other sites.  It can be got at:
>>
>> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
>>
>> Under Linux, this is how to add that hosts file.
>>
>> 1. Copy all the text file on the above webpage.
>>
>> 2. Get your existing hosts file up in a text editor with root
>> privileges.  For those of you using gedit as your text editor,
>> put this in your terminal:
>>
>> sudo gedit /etc/hosts
>>
>> 3. Add the copied text *underneath* the existing text (do *not*
>> remove the existing text).
>>
>> 3. Remove the line from the copied text just below the commented
>> text which says:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1		localhost
>>
>> (because its duplicated above at the start)
>>
>> 4. Save the file.
>>
>> 5. Reboot.
>>
>> If you're trying to make your system more secure, I'd suggest
>> getting a good filtering proxy (such as Privoxy) as well, but to
>> see if you are being redirected to a "nasty" site, this will
>> help.
>>
>> -- Graham Todd
>>

> I am using Firefox with the Adblock Plus add on. Is this still a
> good idea?
>
> Regards,  Jim

I think so. I also run Firefoxn all platforms (various Windows, Mac,
various *nix) with the "No Script" plugin. It's a whitelist
pre-emptive blocking approach that prevents java, javascript and other
plugins from exploiting vulnerabilities. It can be a bit of a pain,
but I find it very useful for not getting nasties from websites, even
on Windows.
Systems Theory project website: www.systemstheory.net
www.mikedickson.org.uk