Non Ubuntu question

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 27 15:07:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:24:55 +0900
Gryllida <gryllida at gmail.com> uttered these words:

> > A while back I was having that trouble on three different browsers
> > while on fb = Opera, FF & Chrome - and it was on Ubuntu.
> >
> > Do the obvious first: dump your cache, clear your cookies - reboot.
> > Go to FB.
> >
> > Wade
[snipped]

To those I'd add: get a good hosts file.  It works on Linux and Windows.

An explanation of how this works in Windows can be found at:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The hosts file there is one of the best around and help prevent you
from being redirected to other sites.  It can be got at:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

Under Linux, this is how to add that hosts file.

1. Copy all the text file on the above webpage.

2. Get your existing hosts file up in a text editor with root
privileges.  For those of you using gedit as your text editor, put this
in your terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/hosts

3. Add the copied text *underneath* the existing text (do *not* remove
the existing text).

3. Remove the line from the copied text just below the commented text
which says:

127.0.0.1		localhost

(because its duplicated above at the start)

4. Save the file.

5. Reboot.

If you're trying to make your system more secure, I'd suggest getting a
good filtering proxy (such as Privoxy) as well, but to see if you are
being redirected to a "nasty" site, this will help.

--
Graham Todd