Linux Forums unreachable.

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Thu Feb 25 01:39:22 UTC 2010

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 24.02.2010 02:51, Ray Parrish:
>

>> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>>

>>> That's indeed strange: UDP packets do reach the target, TCP packets don't.
>>>
>>> @Ray: you don't have any packet filter active on your machine or your
>>> DSL router, do you?
>>>

>> No, but I note that the router portion of it is blocking one specific
>> web site that does not match linuxforums.org. I suppose I could remove
>> that entry, and retry if you think that could be the problem.
>>

> OK, let's see what we do know:
> - you can't establish a TCP connection to port 80 at www.linuxforums.org,
> - the problem is not caused by a DNS failure,
> - UDP packets do reach www.linuxforums.org,
> - TCP packets don't
> In fact, the last point isn't exactly true. All we know is that
> traceroute -T doesn't receive a response from www.linuxforums.org. That
> could mean that either the probe itself gets thrown away on the server
> side or that the probe does reach the server but the response to the
> probe is dropped somewhere.
>
> Judging from the above, I can imagine two possible causes of the problem:
> 1. linuxforums.org/theplanet are - for some reason unknown to me -
> indeed blocking you (or an IP range which contains the IPs you are
> assigned) from access to their site.
> 2. Something at your side (DSL router/computer) is throwing away some
> network packets thus making it impossible for you to access
> www.linuxforums.org.
>
> If 1. is true, there's not much you can do about other than, for
> example, asking them about the problem via mail or on #linuxforums IRC
> channel on freenode.
> If there's another QWest customer in your neighbourhood and you could
> make them check their access to www.linuxforums.org, that would give a
> hint too.
>
> If 2. is true, you have to find out what exactly it is that blocks
> communication with linuxforums.org.
> What I'd try:
> - Boot the machine from a LiveCD and check if it makes a difference. If
> it doesn't, this pretty much rules out your machine as source of the
> problem.
> - Change the router's configuration to not block anything and check if
> it makes a difference.
>
> While not exactly helping to find the culprit, it might nevertheless be
> interesting to see if the problem is specific to port 80. I. e. if you
> telnet to a different port (21, 53, 443, 8443 for example seem to be
> open on linuxforums.org) will a connection be established?
>
> Other than that, I don't have any ideas, sorry.

Hello again,

I have a dual boot machine, and from Windows XP I can connect to
linuxforums.org easily.

Here are the non-connecting results of the other ports -

ray at RaysComputer:~$ telnet www.linuxforums.org 21
Trying 174.132.123.98...

ray at RaysComputer:~$ telnet www.linuxforums.org 53
Trying 174.132.123.98...

ray at RaysComputer:~$ telnet www.linuxforums.org 443
Trying 174.132.123.98...

ray at RaysComputer:~$ telnet www.linuxforums.org 8443
Trying 174.132.123.98...

ray at RaysComputer:~$

I tried to change my settings for the router to remove the one blocked
web site while in Windows, but it would not load any other pages after

Something in Ubuntu is blocking me from reaching linuxforums.org, and I
would like some coaching on all of the possible things that can block a
certain web site from being reached.

Could it be a firewall rule? I have some ports blocked, and have a
blacklist policy in effect, as opposed to white listing traffic.

Thanks, Ray Parrish

--
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html