Help with content of /etc/network/interfaces file, **progress**

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 24 23:59:26 UTC 2010

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Message: 3 Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:00:02 +0100
> From: Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: Help with content of /etc/network/interfaces file **progress**
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> > OK, That makes sense. I applied the changes suggested, however, I
>> >  still am unable to obtain an IP address for my wlan0 port on the
>> >  laptop. What would give me a clue as to why a DHCPOFFER (if one is
>> >  being made) would not be accepted???
>
> The first question now is what DHCP packets you can see on your laptop
> and on your server. Try to find it out with wireshark running on both
> machines.
>
> Next question: Is your AP configured as bridge or switch? If it is
> configured as NAT router with DHCP switched off, it wouldn't work.
>
> What AP are you using anyway? Maybe you have already posted the type and
> I missed it because unfortunately you start a new thread with every
> reply, so it is quite difficult to follow your progress.
>

> Nils

Sorry I thought I was keeping the thread, I guess I don't know how to do that. I
use the digest mode. If I reply to the message then I can't get the post I want.

To answer your question: the AP is a Belkin Wireless G Range Extender/Access
Point (Part # F5D7130) configured as an Access Point.

I will try installing wireshark on both machines.

Tom H. Wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:06:41 -0500
> From: Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Help with content of /etc/network/interfaces file
> 	**progress**
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

> What is the content of
> /var/lib/dhcp3/dhcpd.leases
> on your dhcp server?

The content of that file is ONLY the # header comments (7 lines). No other
information. I think this may be a BIG part of what is going on...

Thanks to you both,
Jay

--

Jay Ridgley