DNS / Webserver in a project environment

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 16:46:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Jan <malepatus at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your replies!
>
> Djbdns looks quite good. Did I get it in the right way, that I just need
> to use the "dnscache" of Bernsteins program? I'm a bit confused :)
>

> jaik

You will probably want a "split horizon" setup:

http://www.fefe.de/djbdns/#splithorizon

Basically, you have tinydns respond to internal dns queryies
(generally queriest that would resolve to an internal IP address) and
then, when tinydns is asked about an address it can't resolve (say
google.com or something) it will talk to dnscache which will then look
in its cache to see if it knows the answer.  If it doesn't, it will go
out to the root name servers and find the answer and the store it in
its cache.

Just as a heads up, djb software in general can be a pain to setup,
especially the first time you do it.  Once it is running, however, it
is rock solid and you pretty much never have to worry about it.  Also,
I would generally recommend that you don't try to use any ubuntu
packages for djb and just install it using the tarballs from djb's
site:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

In general, packages of djb software tend to be weird because about
the only restriction djb has on his software is that it has to be
installed in his way.  Depending on the package, it might try to do it
his way, or do it the "ubuntu" way and then fake it out to look like
it is his way.  Overall, it is easiest to just not mess with that and
follow his setup instructions.

Hope this helps,

Preston