Linux Forums unreachable.

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Feb 24 00:54:31 UTC 2010

Xandros Pilosa wrote:
> Dne 22.02.2010 (pon) ob 05:19 -0800 je Ray Parrish zapisal(a):
> [snip]
>
>>> 3. Now add an entry for the name into /etc/hosts:
>>>
>>>       174.132.123.98   www.linuxforums.org
>>>
>>>    You will need to be root to do this.
>>>
>>>    Does your browser now find the desired site? If yes, it is
>>>    *definitely* a DNS problem. Remember to remove the new entry
>>>    from /etc/hosts before further testing!
>>>
>>> How to fix a DNS problem is a bigger question :-)
>>>

> [snip]
>
>> And adding the ip address to the hosts file made no difference.
>>
>> Thanks, Ray Parrish
>>

> Hello,
>
> it seems to me, it might be firefox issue, in Hardy at least.
> Here, for example ff ver. 3.0~b5+nobinonly-0ubuntu3 take ages to load
> the page, while Konqueror ver. 3.0~b5+nobinonly-0ubuntu3 has no problem.
>
> Regards

Here is what I get from Goggle Chrome -

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://www.linuxforums.org/ might be temporarily down or
it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

So, that eliminates this being a browser specific issue especially when
you consider that I also can not connect with Telnet either.

I wonder is someone can answer a question for me? I was reading about
routing tables, and according to my understanding of what I read, the
routing table should point at a DNS server however my third hop after
localhost to the DSL modem, from the DSL modem to the net goes to a
Qwest host address, but it is not one of the Qwest DNS server's ip
addresses, and is not the Open DNS server I am now configured to use.
Why would this be?

Thanks.

Later, Ray Parrish

--