Bad boot?

Nepal - google nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 21 09:26:03 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 Feb 2010 07:52:47 magick.crow at gmail.com wrote:
> Bad boot?
>  (magick.crow at gmail.com, Sun Feb 21 07:52:47 2010)
> my computer was booting and it started one of those once every 30
> boot HD   checks. It says you can press escape so my wife did.
> Will this do damage? How can I start it again? Do I need to do
> that? Where are the records of what is was trying to check? Any
> other things I should know about this? Thanks!
> Douglas

Hey Douglas,

Stop worrying.

There is no problem. Ubuntu did not design a system that does
important checks and allows you to abandon them in the middle leaving
you with a mess... so the story goes anyway! ;)

It is a standard procedure to keep your system healthy and working.
AFAIK it is triggered by one of the values for a drive entry in the
/etc/fstab file. Have a look. If you don't do it this time, it will be
picked up again, but I am not sure if it is in another 30 mounts or
next attempted mount. But I do know it is nothing to be concerned
about. However, if you feel like playing with this you can tell your
wife she has destroyed your system... ;)

nepal.